Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Monday, April 17, 2017

A Letter to My Students

IF I could say anything to you, if I was ever asked what I really wanted to say, I would tell you that school matters - but that is NOT what I want you to think of when you look back on this year.

IF I could give you one thing to take away from this year, if I could have just one small thought stick with you for the rest of your life, it would be this. No matter what happens to you, not matter what you do, there is one thing you must always remember: Never give up on your superlatives.

IF I use the word "superlative" in class, if you are all really listening, I'm sure I'd get a lot of questioning looks, maybe a few laughs, but mostly I'd get "superwhat?"

IF I wasn't so worried about the test you have to take at the end of the year, if I didn't feel the weight of your future upon my shoulders, collapsing my limbs and drowning me, if the pressure of "growth data" and "effective teaching" wasn't suffocating me, if fear wasn't convincing me otherwise, I would say the things that really matter.

I would say: "Never give up on your superlatives."


Webster defines superlative as: of, relating to, or constituting the degree of grammatical comparison that denotes an extreme or unsurpassed level or extent OR surpassing all others : SUPREME : of very high quality : EXCELLENT.

One translation of the word "excellence" into Latin (as used by Aristotle) is virtus or virtue. So when I say don't give up on your superlatives, I mean don't give up on your excellence, don't give up on your virtue.

Fight to be the best you and NEVER GIVE UP.

Always be the smartest you.
Always be the nicest you.
Always be the most beautiful you (inside and out).
Always be the happiest you.
Always be the holiest you.
Always be the most charitable you.
Always be the most eloquent you.
Always be the most grateful you.
Always be the most respectful you.
Always be the most honest you.
Always be the most authentic you.
Always be the strongest you.
Always be the most disciplined you.
Always be the best advocate for yourself.
Always be the most confident you.
Always be the generous you.
Always be the most faithful you.
Always be the most loving you.
Always be the most virtuous you.
Always be the most excellent you.
Always be the best you.

Never give up on you.

Don't let them persuade you that you are anything less than yourself.
Don't let them convince you that you can't be exactly who you were created to be. 

But they are not your biggest adversary.

You are.

Do not persuade yourself that you are less than you are.
Do not convince yourself that you can't be exactly who you were created to be.

You were made for excellence.
You were made to be the absolute BEST version of yourself.
So be that person.
With every fiber in your body, fight for excellence and NEVER give up on your superlatives.
 L O V E 
Ms. Amanda Young
Freshman English Teacher


No comments:

Post a Comment