Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Thursday, January 26, 2017

To My Soul Sisters

On the drive to teach my 75ish 14-year-old children, I tend to say a rosary. I ask Mary to give me the guidance, obedience, grace, patience etc that I will certainly need through the day. I ask her to please please please tip her finger into their souls and bring them some calm, some joy, some understanding, anything that will help them in my class, in their days, in their lives. Needless to say, it's a very important part of my morning.

Even so, occasionally, I get a little distracted by the breakfast I balance on my lap, the other cars zipping by, the coffee fragrance that drifts into the air, and I don't always focus as much as I should. Typically, I fight through it and get as far as I can, and I beg Mary to forgive my human imperfections. On Tuesday morning (Sorrowful Mysteries), it was different. I had nothing really to distract me. I just couldn't focus. Frustrated, I promised to say a rosary on my way home, and I turned on the radio. After flipping through the stations, I landed on Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody," and I'm reminded of Sarah

Uh oh...


Now, those of you who were friends with me in college and know me well would know that if I'm feeling particularly emotional (hence the Sorrowful Mysteries), it doesn't take much to set me off. As Whitney's joyful voice rang through my car, memories of college flashed through my mind like a montage of every precious moment I had in the past four years. Obviously, not only am I tearing up now, but I cried the entire way to school that morning.

All day my college friends lingered on my mind, making my day very nostalgic and bittersweet. As I was getting ready for bed, I knew that I couldn't let this feeling - this thought - go wasted. So, I used it, and below you will find a poem dedicated to seven women who have changed my life.

Soul Sisters
They warn you about the boys
who make you giddy and lose your poise
and who play with your heart like toys -
But no one warned me about the girls.

They tell you about pressure and stress.
"Make sure you are confident and impress."
"Make enough money, but know it's not life's redress."
But no one told me about the girls.

They teach you ethics and morals.
"Don't do drugs or cling to bottles."
"Think of the next life 'cause we're all mortals."
But no one taught me about the girls.

They ensure you know blood runs thicker than water.
"You will always be a sister and a daughter
to your earthly and your heavenly Father."
But I did not know about the girls.

I did not know she would always be there 
from childhood sleepovers braiding my hair
to the moment, to my man, my life I swear.
The girl whose friendship goes everywhere and nowhere.

I did not know she could so easily bury
the wrongs of my past - when her pockets got hairy.
When she said we'd stay friends, she was serious. Very.
The girl with whom sweet memories I still make and carry.

I did not know she would be so shy
until we moved out then bonded over a dumb guy.
Then, we'd dance, and drink, and laugh, and cry.
The girl who can see me through the dirt and bring me sky high. 

I did not know she would always be willing to lend an ear
though her beautiful voice is what brought me cheer.
Always merry though she never drank beer.
The girl with whom Massage Mondays would always be dear.

I did not know she would have a quick and constant wit
Would make me laugh even when I wouldn't admit
Always ready with her wisdom and make up kit
The girl with the holy and inspiring spirit.

I did not know she'd have such style!
and demonstrate true femininity with her life and her smile.
Her selflessness every heart would beguile.
The girl I can turn to no matter the trial.

I did not know we would be quite the same -
Although her heart lay with biology and a different ball game
and with perhaps a wilder spirit to claim.
The girls for whom I cried when I left the last time I came.

No one warned me about them.
In my life, they each shine like a beautiful gem.
From them, much joy did stem,
but no one warned me.

They didn't warn about the pain.
Or how the memories would make you insane.
Laughing or crying? It's not so plain.
Happy or sad? Can't make up my brain.
I don't want to forget, but the fact remains:
I know it will never be the same.

So what to do now?


but to the Lord I bow
and place my hands upon my brow
and through this ache I now plow
because this pain proves I know.

I know what love can truly be
through these women God has given to me.
Despite the tears through which I see,
As I remain on bended knee
For my tears I make no apology
Through all of you I have been set free.
As life goes on and I marry my mister,
As life separates us like a terrible twister,

Just know that I am a stronger Me because of You. Soul Sister.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing piece, so touching, heartfelt and wise. As a soul sister to many beyond your years, I will admit no one told me about the girls, but they didn't have to. The girls were always there.

    ReplyDelete