Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Calm Between Storms

It's ironic how sometimes the world around us reflects what's going on with us personally. Hurricane Michael is approaching the southern United States only about a month after Hurricane Florence, and I started thinking about how often life can feel like the recouping or waiting in between storms. 

This past weekend, I had this miniature freak out because I thought my water might have broken, but I wasn't sure. I was having a LOT more contractions than I had been previously, but they were never consistent and didn't get stronger. Daniel and I scrambled around the apartment to finish washing what needed to be washed, and we frantically packed our hospital bag and cleaned the kitchen in case we were going to the hospital tonight. Even though what I was experiencing was very different from what I had experienced before, I wasn't sure if it was labor or not, and I REALLY didn't want to become someone who shows up at the hospital weekly asking if I was in labor.

Daniel and I called the 24/7 nurse, and she walked us through some things to test if it really was my water that had broken. So after talking to her and testing it out, I told myself it wasn't actually labor. I told myself that the instructors had to be right. I would KNOW when I go into labor...right? 

Yet the insecurity continued in waves just as the contractions did, and I called Monday morning to go in to the doctor just be sure. The doctor probably already knows that I'm crazy, so who cares if I go in, and they say I'm being ridiculous. It's better than going through the whole affair of going to the hospital. 

Of course, the doctor checked and said everything I was experiencing was normal for this stage of pregnancy. His reassurance that I was not going into labor right now - and that coming in to check was also totally normal - was incredibly consoling (even though I am so done with being pregnant).  It may only be a few days since then, but the peace that has settled in with the knowledge that I really will know when it's time has been a huge relief. I can't believe it's already Wednesday, and I'll be 38 weeks in less than 48 hours. Time is flying!

So here I am sipping my apple cider tea, editing my novel, and keeping up with the housework just getting to truly relax until it's time for our little Pumpkin to arrive! Rather than dreading this second storm, I'm cozying into my husband's arms and our little apartment enjoying our life and looking into the future with content appreciation for the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment