Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Shared Interest

When getting married, people often give the engaged couple advice. One of the pieces of advice we got was to find common interests and spend time together doing those things. Learning something new is often exciting in its own way, but learning something new that your spouse is interested in is even more rewarding. Daniel and I have very different interests, but it has been really fun experimenting with each other's interests and trying to make them our own. 

It's fairly well known that Daniel enjoys PC gaming. He's particularly played League of Legends and World of Warcraft. I tried to play League of Legends for a while, but it didn't quite click for me. It was difficult to navigate through the different skills of the different characters. Additionally, it was a little more repetitive than I enjoyed. The main objective is to simply kill the other team and their turrets before they took down yours. Naturally, there are more intricacies to the game than that, but it can be broken down to that general objective, and it just didn't quite capture my interest in itself. I was just playing because it was something to do with Daniel. 

So then we moved on to World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft had an extensive story line and one single character's set of skills to learn as you progressed through the story. This was much more to my liking and general ability. At first, it was just fun to play with Daniel, to see him get excited about us playing together, to have him teach me about one of his passions. It was a way for us to spend time together and for him to play the game he loved. 

It started off just something I liked to play with him, but the more time we spent playing together, the more I came to enjoy it for its own sake as well. Before Daniel, I didn't really know that PC gaming was a thing. Now here I am sometimes playing on my own, caring about how to maximize my DPS, and still enjoying spending time with the man I love. 

If you haven't tried picking up a hobby that someone you love enjoys, give it a shot! You never know what you might find yourself enjoying. I've certainly been pleasantly surprised.  

No comments:

Post a Comment