Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Sunday, April 1, 2018

A Tribute Part 1

Sunny Summer Smiles
July 2017

 July was absolute bliss. Daniel and I enjoyed the beautiful landscapes and food of Iceland on our honeymoon, and when we got back, we traveled down to our first home together.  Daniel started his new job, and I was enjoying some much needed time to rest before the school year started. At that point, the month still held my best friend's bachelorette party and one of my good friend's profession of her vows. We unpacked, we settled in, we began our forever.

Bliss.

Naturally, because I am who I am, I instantly began seeking the next step - that next moment of bliss that often comes with getting married. Daily, I closely evaluated all NFP signs that pointed to pregnancy. Within a few short weeks I was absolutely, without any doubt, 100% positive that I was pregnant - even when the test came back negative. I was still sure. The test was wrong. I was definitely pregnant.

Daniel, being the incredibly patient husband that he is, told me to go and enjoy the bachelorette party, and I could take another test when I got home if I was still so sure. So I packed up my bathing suit and a bunch of CDs, and I drove from Charlotte to Virginia belting out the Wicked Soundtrack start to finish like I was Idina Menzel - I had to expose the baby to excellent music after all. There were definitely a few times when I chatted with my belly telling it that I knew the baby was in there even if no one else did or would. We were connected. I could just feel it.

I stopped at my parents' in Virginia to sleep before I drove to New Jersey to meet up with the other girls at the tubing place where we would kick off the bachelorette party. As I enjoyed each moment with these people who were so dear to me, an extra dose of happiness flowed through my veins with the secret that I carried. I kept my suspicions to myself though - just in case I was going a little whacko. After all, I didn't want to look like a fool claiming it so soon - the test did come back negative after all. The trip came and went, and each day that passed only solidified my suspicions. Joy grew within me. I was pregnant - had to be.

So I finally got home and bought a test, telling my husband I was definitely pregnant (though in the back of my mind I feared getting another negative and looking really silly). The next morning, in tears, we found it to be true. We were going to have a baby!

We did not waste a single second. Before Daniel went to work, we managed to call both of our parents, sharing the good news. I drove down and told our closest friend, just bursting to share our new joy.

Pure Joy.

We kept it secret for a little while from everyone else, waiting for our first doctor's appointment in August - you know, just to be safe.

August 2017

We had our first prenatal appointment on August 18th, and we were so thrilled. The doctor answered all of our questions - even the ones we didn't know we had. He supported our use of Natural Family Planning. We got our due date. The baby would be born on April 1st, and he said everything looked good. We scheduled our ultra sound for the following week on August 25th when we would get to see our baby for the very first time! We couldn't believe we got an appointment so early, and I couldn't wait to meet the little one that I already felt like I knew.

We practically skipped out of the OBGYN's office to call our siblings and close friends. My hands were practically shaking each time I shared the news that I had known for weeks. The connection that I had known to be real. The baby that I carried and knew before anyone else. The tears, the words of encouragement, the shouts of joy and disbelief filled my heart and soul.

My joy was uncontainable.

For today, to honor this baby, I will leave this joy untouched.
A tribute to celebrate the joy that our baby brought.

Check in on April 5th for Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment