Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Monday, June 17, 2013

Irony

Well, here I am a month after my last post to you all.  I've been working like crazy and now have one of the most ironic conditions known to mankind: a cold during summer.  That's right. Congested. Coughing. The whole shebang.  It stinks (not that I can smell anything at all).

It feels like the summer is over already even though I have two months before school starts.  Maybe it's because the days and weeks pass so quickly due to work.  I thought I'd have plenty of stories to tell you all from both jobs, but I find myself having to dig for anything remotely entertaining or interesting to those outside of my day- to-day life.  Perhaps though, I will comment on the day-to-day anyway.

Summer camp finally started, and I was assigned to help one child in particular in the older classroom.  The child is on the autistic spectrum, and I was a little nervous to be handling his behavioral reports on my own.  About halfway through the first day though, he eased my mind and made me smile.  He asked me if I was going to be with him tomorrow, and I told him I was.  He said, "Good." I grinned, asking him if that was okay, to which he answered. "Yes. That's good." It's great how little kids can make your day with something so simple.  Even though some days are better than others, he always finds a moment to do something exactly the way he's supposed to and then turns to me, looking for my approval and encouragement.

Although not much else sticks out at either job, I will add that waitressing is much different then training prepared me for.  When I trained, I was busy the whole time.  Now, I sit around for about an hour, am very busy for about 3 hours and then spend the last hour waiting on a single table that "camps" (doesn't order anything else or pay the bill).  It's very unpredictable, and I still haven't walked out with more than $80 no matter how long I've worked or how much I've sold.

It's actually surprisingly difficult to sell things.  I know personally that I am a frugal spender - especially at a restaurant.  So, every time I approach a table - even though I am only making suggestions and informing them of the specials - I feel like I am manipulating them for selfish purposes...which may be true since it directly affects my pay.  What I have come to discover though is that people have set amounts they are willing to spend for the night. Thus, the more I have them buy, the less they tip because of their price limit. It's very interesting to see how many people stiff their servers.  Granted, I have had generous guests too, and for that I am grateful.  It's just much different moving to the back of the restaurant in comparison with the front where I was during training.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just thought I would reupdate everyone on the irony of how different work is (and isn't) after only a month.  Two more to go! And I've got half a semester covered woohoo! Hope your summers are still going well! My best friend from High School is in town this week so time for a little bit of relaxing thank goodness :)

1 comment:

  1. The irony is that all the work you are doing may be helping other but not yourself. I know that I have begun to TIP more now that I know how the system works. Your work helping someone get paid more. Since they really don't know you are helping them, let me take this opportunity to say it for them.......THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete