Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What is Truth?

We're reading Fides et Ratio in my History of Ideas class, and we got into a really interesting discussion about truth.  

My professor was saying that people have different capacities for truth, so the people who have higher capacities have a better understanding of the whole truth, and the people with lower capacities may have part of the truth, but they aren't as accurate in their view of truth.  After that mouthful of a concept, I had a lot of questions that I didn't know how to phrase.  So even though it sounds like I'm trying to argue like a relativist, here's how I started out the conversation with my professor: But truth is not relative, correct?
Everyone in the class looked to my professor as he answered with: Not exactly, but people's capacity for understanding truth is relative.  Thus, their idea of truth is relative to them.

Again, the concept is a little cryptic, and though I am still a little skeptical, here's what I got from the conversation after a lot of discussion classmate to classmate and student to professor. 

Essentially, there is an ultimate and complete truth for everything. Because we are all human and imperfect, we cannot fully grasp this truth no matter the topic.  We can get a close perspective of the whole truth, but we will never attain ultimate truth.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around it because I'm not really sure I COMPLETELY understand the concept, but I definitely found the conversation interesting.

Any thoughts on the discussion or what truth really is?

4 comments:

  1. Truth is when the thoughts in one's head are in keeping with objective reality. Some people have more of a desire for truth so maybe that was what your professor was getting at and therefore their "capacity" to attain truth is greater because they seek more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty close to what he said, but even though I may want to dance well, maybe more than a professional ballerina desires to, I won't be able to dance like she can. It's just not in my "capacity". My professor addressed the capacity for truth in a very similar manner: desire doesn't define capability.
      Thanks for you comment Matilda!

      Delete
    2. Yes, but even though you may want to dance well, but can't, you may be able to recognize a great dancer.

      You are correct, the truth your teacher was talking about is probably not humanly attainable. Think of it this way; are you absolutely sure that there are no absolutes? The only way anyone can even come close to the true truth is faith. Good luck.

      Delete
    3. True, but just because you can recognize truth, doesn't mean you could understand it on your own or understand why it's truth.

      That's exactly what we were talking about. The encyclical is, after all, called "Faith and Reason".
      Thanks for your comment Dad!

      Delete