Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

When You Can't Sleep

I don't know how many of you have this problem, but I have a lot of trouble sleeping. I've tried the therapeutic exercises, the warm milk, the meditating. The whole shebang. Recently, I've been writing in a journal to help clear my mind, so far it's worked pretty well to get my concerns written down. After everything that happened yesterday, I figured writing would do the trick as it has for the past week. But this time, it didn't help.  Rather, it made things worse.
With my creative juices at work, my mind reeled with unanswered questions, coming up with all of the worst cases scenario for my friend who left.  When I finished writing the poem (Love) that made my mind go haywire, I went for a run through my beautiful campus.  The campus was so still, so peaceful.  It calmed my soul more than writing, sleeping, crying, or anything else I had tried.  It was almost prayer-like, a divine moment where I could surrender out in the open to my fears, my dreams, my grief, my joy, my everything.  Eventually, I stopped running and was able to express my emotions with a full heart to God in a series of angry prayers, ending with a sense of peace and comfort.  Although my mind had cleared, when I came back from my run, I was still wide awake.  I decided to watch "Lady of Tramp," to which I eventually fell asleep.
Although the night was crazy, I know I will sleep better tonight with the peace of God in my soul. Stay strong in God my friends.  It is the only way to survive the difficult times.

*Check True Colors for the link to take the personality test and see what personality color YOU are! I'm blue :)

4 comments:

  1. Are you running late at night alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's the last:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the last time :)
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete