Image from Disney's "Tangled"

Saturday, March 9, 2013

I Can Go the Distance

My boyfriend, Daniel, two of my sisters, Meg and Al, and I watched "The Phantom of the Opera" (my favorite movie) and "Hercules." Talk about people struggling to figure out their place in the world.  All the people in "The Phantom of the Opera" struggle with their passions and talents - especially Christine and the Phantom. Can you imagine finding out your mentor is some creepy stalker? That would suck, but imagine being the Phantom. Always alone. Always shunned.  Although he had an unfortunate situation, he perpetuated his own condition. It made me think about how we tend to do that to ourselves. I know when I'm down I tend to look at the world pessimistically including the way I've been viewing my situation at college.

Then we started Hercules. Quite a difference! Hercules always looks at the bright side of things. He has only a single drop of immortality in him and has to abide by a sassy trainer. Despite his mistakes after "manning up" in his training, he still strives for what he wants. No matter the odds, he works hard to pursue his dreams. When I go back to school, I want to be more like Hercules: relentlessly striving for my goals with an optimistic attitude.  Even though that's easier said then done, "I know every mile/Will be worth my while/When I go the distance/I'll be right where I belong." ~Hercules

No comments:

Post a Comment